Manager for Nuclear Power Systems
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’s Nuclear Sciences Division (NSsD) is seeking a Manager for Nuclear Power Systems (NPS) responsible for understanding the larger national and global trends in existing as well as future nuclear power systems as well as associated energy infrastructure. Based on external science, technology, business, and political trends, the Manager for NPS will conceive, create, develop and implement an actionable strategy that will enable PNNL and EED to deliver cutting edge solutions to DOE Missions in partnership with U.S. industry and other national laboratories. Key areas will include advanced fuels, Gen IV reactor designs, and technologies to extend the life of the existing fleet.
- Designs a strategy to utilize existing PNNL capabilities in S&T directorates as well as recommendations on filling gaps in facilities, instrumentation, and staff to meet DOE objectives.
- Creates and implements an actionable PNNL NPS strategy coordinated with sector and division plans that will enable PNNL and EED to deliver cutting-edge solutions to DOE missions in partnership with academia, industry and other national laboratories. Guides and supports business activities and interacts with senior executives at sponsor locations and PNNL senior leadership to identify and shape future R&D opportunities.
- Works with EED Senior Managers including the Chief Science and Technology Officer, Market Sector Managers, Division Directors and Technical Group Managers to execute NPS strategy and secure needed resources.
- Strategically positions PNNL and EED capabilities to integrate advances in applied materials, measurement and control, design and licensing for DOE missions and industrial sponsors.
- Working in partnership with EED market sector managers, coordinates and integrates capabilities to capitalize on new or emerging opportunities.
- Works across PNNL to insure the next generation laboratory capabilities and investments are leveraged to maximize impact on DOE Energy & Environmental Programs.
- In partnership with other PNNL and EED leaders, externally represents PNNL’s NPS vision and integrated capabilities in energy missions to senior leaders in industry.
- Develop and grow relationships with other DOE labs, research institutions, academia and industry to collaborate on large-scale projects of national importance.
- Serve as a senior advisor to PNNL LDRD initiatives in Nuclear Science.
- Mentor and guide mid to senior level staff to develop their technical and leadership competencies.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS in Nuclear or Mechanical Engineering with 12+ years’ experience
- MS in Nuclear or Mechanical Engineering with 8+ years’ experience
- PhD in Nuclear or Mechanical Engineering with 3+ years’ experience
- Experience in the industrial nuclear power systems coordinating and leading teams across industry and national laboratories
- Experience building external collaborations with leading research organizations, national laboratories, universities and industrial partners.
- Current experience in the engineering and management of nuclear power systems.
- Proven ability to create and execute national level strategy, identify and interact with key stakeholders, prepare program proposals, and generate future R&D or mission application directions.
- Demonstrated experience working with DOE and knowledge of NPS programs including DOE-NE and private industry
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral skills; the ability to effectively lead interdisciplinary teams, and a strong orientation toward advancing the state of the art technical capabilities and its reputation with sponsors.
- Demonstrated experience integrating nuclear technologies with a focus on development and deployment.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308187
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Nuclear Sciences