Specialist - Data Analyst II
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The User Program Services (UPS) Specialist II is an intermediate data and systems analyst responsible for providing technical expertise, analysis and products to support the activities of the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL), a DOE Office of Science national scientific user facility. As a research facility, EMSL works with over 700 researchers annually from academia, government laboratories, industry, and the international scientific community who gain access to EMSL resources through a peer review process. This position is responsible for gathering, analyzing and evaluating information related to the productivity of the facility with monthly and quarterly data quality assessments and reports.
In addition, this position is responsible for identifying and solving unique and complex issues in both data and software performance with broad impact to EMSL operation and responsiveness to the research community internal and external to PNNL, as well as programmatic sponsors and clients.
The incumbent is expected to provide effective and timely communication of moderate to complex issues to management throughout the lifecycle of the research conducted with EMSL resources. Consequently, the UPS Specialist II requires a detailed knowledge of EMSL’s research capabilities, as well as user facility operating requirements and deliverables. Failure to achieve results will impact the organization’s ability to meet milestones and deliverables for the funding sponsor.
Discipline, principal job duties/expectations, and qualitative and quantitative measures of performance that exceed the Functional Descriptor:
• Work with EMSL’s software management system, using advanced SQL queries to prepare detailed annual, quarterly, monthly and ad hoc reports for DOE, Office of Science, BER, and PNNL management.
• Monitor the successful operation of the EMSL Usage System (EUS), EMSL’s data and management system, which includes an external Portal and administrative tools for instrument utilization and scheduling tool, sample tracking and management, and data capture, search, and release.
• Due to the complex nature of the data management system providing program oversight for EMSL, this position requires an advanced knowledge of data system architecture and software development tools, as well as a broad understanding of EMSL and PNNL software systems and tools that support EMSL integration into Laboratory functions, policies and procedures.
• Proactively and creatively develop solutions for a variety of problems of moderate complexity utilizing a breadth of tracking and reporting tools and policies. Issues can range from identifying new methodologies to streamline operations in the User Support Office or identify significant operational or system failures that will have both broad and direct impact on EMSL operations.
• Actively participate on the EUS development team to provide design and operational input on system updates and modifications and contribute to the successful deployment via development and execution of software code test cases.
• Work with a diverse and multi-cultural client population (EMSL management team, senior research staff, and university staff), and independently handle moderate to complex issues with senior scientific staff and external customers and researchers (in-person, oral, written).
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
• Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical discipline, plus 3 years related experience.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated proficient use of Oracle, Access, and a variety of business database applications
• Demonstrated expertise or 3 years of progressively responsible knowledge using MySQL database and advanced expertise using SQL queries to create complex custom reports.
• Demonstrated proficient use of MS Excel utilizing complex-variable formulas and mathematical and statistical calculations, as well as VBA coding, and advanced visualization tools.
• Must be able to use discretion and good judgment; independently make decisions, positively and professionally interact with a wide-variety of PNNL staff and clients at all levels; resolve and/or advise management on a wide range of issues; provide training and guidance to less senior or new staff when necessary.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills required
Related experience in an Office of Science national scientific user facility or equivalent data analyst position, along with a working knowledge of EMSL policies, practices, and procedures. In addition, experience in one or more of the following areas is preferred:
• Experience with project management and software development process methodologies and tools, including Agile and JIRA
• Experience with Tableau visualization and reporting software
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308169
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences
Group: Scientific & Computing Operations
User Program Services is the primary conduit for providing data and user project information to the DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research, as well as the Office of Science. Requests for data are often with same day deadlines and individual must be able to adapt to a fast-paced environment with competing priorities, changing requirements, and deadlines.