Chief Scientist - Fusion Energy Materials
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a Chief Scientist- Fusion Energy Materials to provide technical leadership in materials development for extreme environments. This is an extraordinary opportunity to be part of an interdisciplinary program defining and advancing world class research on materials driven far from equilibrium. The Chief Scientist will provide visionary technical leadership to PNNL’s Fusion Energy Sciences program, making fundamental advances in the science and technology of plasma-facing materials, as well as guide innovative research in fission materials degradation.
The Chief Scientist will shape the PNNL research agenda working with senior management, and lead project teams that include scientists and engineers with decades of experience working in materials degradation. He/she will have access to over 100 scientists and engineers delivering advanced research concepts and innovations related to materials development and exceptional capabilities in materials characterization, mechanical testing, and high-performance computing.
The primary emphasis of this position will be to:
- Serve as an internationally recognized expert in materials for extreme environments, advance the state of the art, and influence the national agenda by resolving major challenges
- Collaborate with other Labs, academia, and industry to lead multi-Lab projects in the areas of radiation damage and mechanical degradation of materials, lead the development and execution of strategies in this area, lead laboratory teams, and mentor mid to senior staff across PNNL
- Demonstrate a high degree of creativity and technical judgment in planning and execution of complex programs with national impact
- Build new areas and develop sufficient funding to support self and project teams
- Organize and chair sessions at national and/or international meetings and maintain a significant sustained record of technical publications that influence the field of materials science.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS/BA with 11 years of experience, MS/MA with 9 years of experience, PhD with 7 years of experience.
- The successful candidate will be an established national or international leader in materials for extreme environments familiar with the current state-of-the-art in materials characterization and modeling methods.
- The applicant must have a demonstrated record of advancing new ideas, leading interdisciplinary teams, attracting R&D funding, developing and growing business, providing strategic direction, and managing large complex projects.
- A proven record of operating with a high level of initiative and independence.
- A significant sustained record of technical publications that influence the field of materials science.
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, Nuclear Engineering or a related field with at least 7 years’ experience in nuclear materials related research and development.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308161
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Nuclear Sciences
Group: Reactor Materials and Mechanical Design