Software Science Engineer
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) and the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a senior IT Engineer or computational scientist to lead a Scientific & Computing Operations Group of about 30 staff members and to contribute to our research programs. The EMSL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility that provides innovative and breakthrough experimental and computational science that addresses DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) programs by providing access to more than 75 state-of-the-art instrumental and high performance computing capabilities. The position is partly funded by overhead (approximately 25%), and the remainder other projects including EMSL Operations.
• Established nationally as an expert in at least one S&E domain relevant to computation. Establishing new approaches at a national level and advancing state of the art concepts.
• Established network across PNNL, other national laboratories, academia, industry, and professional societies. Collaborating with other Labs, academia, industry and leads multi-Lab projects.
• Sought out to lead teams that influence computational operations and strategies. Mentoring of mid to senior staff. Conceives, plans, and executes R&D with considerable influence on scientific and technological developments.
• Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs across organizational boundaries with lab level impact, and outside of the laboratory.
• Captures and enables sufficient funding to support self and project teams.
• Provide scientific and technological leadership and effective line management for the Scientific & Computing Operations Group as Technical Group Leader. This position is a partly funded by overhead (approximately 25%), and the remainder other projects including EMSL Operations. This is a multidisciplinary computational and user interface group focused on EMSL high performance computer operations, computational science and user support. Responsibilities include mentoring EMSL staff, encouraging a continued upward trend in EMSL’s scientific productivity and impact, and ensuring safe and secure operations within the group.
• Collaborate with others to develop new R&D and operational projects and programs for the group and the division.
• Recruit outstanding new staff to meet current and anticipated needs and to build new capability areas aligned with EMSL, BER and PNNL strategic priorities, and support career growth of group members, including annual performance reviews and career planning activities.
• Participate in division and, when requested, directorate and PNNL-level operational, strategic planning, and line management meetings.
• Represent the group and its activities to others inside and outside PNNL, in both scientific and management forums.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
BS/BA with 9 years of experience , MS/MA with 7 years of experience , PhD with 5 years of experience
• Job Family and level is negotiable based on experience.
• College degree in computational science or a relevant field with experience in high performance computing and a strong demonstrated record of accomplishment with high-impact publications and/or deliverables, and a national reputation.
• Demonstrated program development, project management, and/or line management. Experience with multidisciplinary, multi-institutional teams is highly important.
• Excellent communications, interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308092
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences Division
Group: Scientific & Computing Operations