Chief Scientist in Cancer Biology
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
• The Biological Sciences Division at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a Chief Research Scientist with expertise in cancer biology, biomarker identification, molecular mechanisms that influence outcome/treatment, and environmental or viral exposures that influence risk. The incumbent should have strong interest and/or experience in the collaborative application of integrated ‘omics measurements, dynamic imaging technologies and computational approaches to enable a predictive understanding of cancer etiology, progression, and treatment in support of precision medicine objectives.
• Substantial expertise in basic and translational cancer research as exemplified by major initiatives such as the Cancer Moonshot, the cancer microbiome, and precision oncology should be evidenced through successful funding from relevant sponsors such as NIH or DOD. Population-based assessments of genetic predisposition as well as environmental & behavioral risk factors are also of interest. The candidate’s research strategies should emphasize an integrated systems approach using state of the art research technologies/tools to collaboratively build predictive models of cancer diagnosis, progression or response to therapy. Existing clinical collaborations and access to clinical cohorts is highly desirable.
• The successful candidate will build and lead research teams utilizing core Laboratory capabilities, interface with funding sponsors, and facilitate close relationships with regional, national and international scientific institutions for collaborations and partnerships. The candidate will also serve as a role model and develop organizational strategies for new capability investments and growth of research portfolios. This position includes access to extensive molecular research capabilities at PNNL, including world-class multi-omics measurement capability, advanced high resolution imaging technologies, bioinformatics and data analytics staff, high performance computing, and computational modeling. Strong communication and writing skills as well as excellent teaming relationships across disciplines are required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
• Education & Experience: BS 9+ years’ experience, MS 7+ years’ experience, PhD 5+ years’ experience
• Technical Leadership: National or international authority. Establishing new approaches at a national level and advancing state of the art concepts. Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs.
• Level of Responsibility: Conceives, plans and executes R&D with considerable influence on scientific and technological developments. Displays considerable leadership in defining scientific and technical objectives across programs. Captures and enables sufficient funding to support self and project teams.
• Education/Experience: PhD in an area of basic or translational cancer biology with at least 15 years’ experience. Demonstrated ability to attract and carry out R&D programs as evidenced by funding and publication record. The successful candidate will be nationally recognized as a technical and scientific authority and leader in his/her field.
• Technical Leadership: National or international authority with evidenced visibility in the research community. Establishing new approaches at a national level and advancing state of the art concepts. Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs.
• Level of Responsibility: Conceives, plans and executes R&D with considerable influence on scientific and technological developments. Displays considerable leadership in defining scientific and technical objectives across programs. Captures and enables sufficient funding to support self and project teams. The candidate will also be expected to mentor staff in the development of proposals for externally funded projects, and engage in client interactions to build research portfolios.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308078
Directorate: Earth and Biological Sciences
Division: Biological Sciences