Computational Scientist - Geophysics
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Geophysics & Geomechanics Team within the Subsurface Science & Technology Group is seeking a highly motivated individual with a strong ethic of service to the scientific community and a commitment to both scientific excellence and national impact on critical scientific and technical problems.
Discipline, principal job duties/expectations, and qualitative and quantitative measures of performance that exceed the Functional Descriptor:
- Develop and optimize capabilities using time-lapse geophysical imaging methods to interrogate subsurface properties and processes related to subsurface environmental remediation, geothermal energy production, and geologic carbon sequestration.
- Select and develop technical approaches to deployment of high-performance geophysical imaging tools in the areas of electrical resistivity tomography, muon tomography, gravity tomography, induced polarization tomography, and cross-borehole velocity tomography.
- Contribute to the development and application of joint inversion codes and methodologies using disparate data sets.
- Lead technical products and present those efforts at key national forums.
- Build effective project teams and mentor junior staff in organization.
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget for small projects or major tasks.
- Demonstrate operational discipline both in terms of safety and security.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS/BA with 5 years of experience
- MS/MA with 3 years of experience
- PhD with 1 year of experience
- Preferred education is a Ph.D. with from an accredited college or university and a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Demonstrated experience in computational geophysics with emphasis on electrical/electromagnetic methods.
- Familiarity with inversion/inverse theory, particularly E4D (https://e4d.pnl.gov).
- Proficiency with programming/scripting in Linux/Unix environments as well as MS Office software.
- Ability to periodically interface directly with clients and sponsors in technical and non-technical matters so as to position self and small teams for funding.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as demonstrated by a growing record of publications in peer reviewed journals and presentations at major conferences.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308076
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Earth Systems Science
Group: Subsurface Science & Technology
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
- This position will involve office, laboratory, and field work. As such, travel to offsite locations may be required. Lab and field work conditions may include radiological, chemical, biological, and munitions constituent’s hazards.