Senior Materials Scientist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Nuclear Chemistry and Engineering group within the Energy and Environment Directorate at PNNL is looking for a senior Material Scientist. As a DOE Office of Science national laboratory, PNNL has an enduring mission to deliver leadership and advancements in science, energy, the environment, and national security for the benefit of DOE and the nation. PNNL is focusing efforts on addressing the nation’s critical nuclear challenges building upon its strong foundation in the basic and applied nuclear sciences to address the disposition of legacy waste, proliferation detection and deterrence, and disposition of spent nuclear fuel. This effort will build on the vast in-house equipment, facilities, and experienced staff across fuels and materials characterization and processing, radioanalytical chemistry, complex process modeling, and proliferation technology development.
Materials characterization and understanding of the long-term behavior of nuclear materials structure and properties from the nano to macro-scale is important to mitigate concerns during extended storage of nuclear fuels. The successful candidate will have a national reputation in nuclear materials science and demonstrate a broad understanding of the cross-cutting science and technology needs. The following requirements are essential to this position:
- Established research career, outstanding publication record, and national reputation in area of expertise
- Demonstrated expertise and national leadership in nuclear and materials science
- Proven ability to develop and lead groundbreaking research
- Demonstrated success in conceiving research programs and attracting funding for them
- Demonstrated ability to assemble and manage multi-disciplinary reach team
The incumbent will proactively identify, promote and develop appropriate new technical capabilities within the Nuclear Sciences and Earth Systems Science Divisions. In collaboration with market sector managers and senior members of the research team, they will translate marketing opportunities into client sales to grow PNNL projects/programs that deliver high impact science and technology.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS/BA with 7 years of experience, MS/MA with 5 years of experience, PhD with 3 years of experience.
- PhD in Material Science, Geology or related field
- Expertise in materials and advanced nuclear fuels characterization, including electron microscopy
- Expertise in advanced waste form development
- Degree in Materials Science, Geology or related field
- Established expert in nuclear materials domain
- Demonstrated record of capture, planning, and execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs across organizational boundaries with broad impact.
- Strong track record of publishing and mentoring
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308073
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Nuclear Sciences
Group: Nuclear Chemistry & Engineering
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
- The work involves significant laboratory research. High risk activities include high temperature and high pressure mechanical systems, energized equipment, radiological work, and chemical hazards.