Post Masters RA - Microbiology/Molecular Biology
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a multi-program laboratory operated by Battelle for the US DOE. The Chemical and Biological Signature Science Group (CBSS) is an interdisciplinary group of approximately 50 biologists, chemists, and engineers that solve research and development problems related to chemical and biological detection and forensics. Much of the work involves trace detection in complex samples including environmental, food, or biological samples, and is directed toward national security missions to prevent and counter acts of terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Key challenges include: identifying the appropriate signatures, sample collection/preservation and preparation, development of detection and analysis technologies, and development and validation of approaches and analytical methods for high confidence measurements.
CBSS is looking for highly motivated candidates with a strong background in microbiology and molecular biology. The primary focus of this internship will be to develop cytotoxicity assay in eukaryotic systems and inactivation assays in prokaryotic systems. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in general and molecular biology.
Responsibilities will include:
• Applying basic microbiology and molecular biology techniques to well defined assignments in a research and development laboratory
• Working in technical teams to complete well defined project tasks on time and within scope and budget
• Making technical contributions that may ultimately affect the direction of the research
• Thoroughly documenting experiments, including methods and results
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Candidates must have received a Master’s degree within the past 24 months or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university. Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 required.
• Demonstrated technical aptitude in a laboratory environment
• Hands-on experience with basic tissue culture, PCR, bacterial cultivation and cloning in bacterial systems
• Demonstrated experience in problem-solving and data analysis
• Experience working on tasks that require meticulous, reproducible laboratory work and attention to detail
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience working with Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) controls is preferred
• Masters in Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Biochemistry or a related field
• Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher preferred
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308025
Directorate: National Security
Division: Signatures Science & Technology
Group: Chemical & Biological Signature Science
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.