Water Efficiency & Resilience Engineer
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Buildings & Connected Systems Group at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a candidate to support the development and application of methods to assess the water efficiency and resilience in buildings and on large campuses/sites. The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary team of engineers and scientists who do applied research on building performance evaluation, control systems optimization and integration, and planning for assured access and efficient use of water and energy resources.
The Buildings & Connected Systems Group at PNNL performs applied research that drives energy and water efficiency, occupant productivity, and resilient operation of buildings and connected systems to provide economic, environmental, security, and societal benefits to the nation. The group’s core research capabilities are in building performance evaluation, building control systems optimization and integration, and planning and execution of resilient building design and operations.
The successful candidate will specifically be responsible for assessing building equipment and infrastructure with respect to water efficiency and security, and to develop solutions that assure water resource availability for critical end uses on large campuses/sites using existing tools and assisting in the development of new approaches. The incumbent will be expected to be well versed in the fundamentals of operations of building water systems and infrastructure (cooling towers, plumbing, various process water uses) and have the ability to assess performance of these systems adverse conditions. Fundamental knowledge of water distribution systems and water and wastewater treatment are considered beneficial.
The incumbent will work as a technical contributor under the guidance of senior engineers, scientists, and project managers, and will be responsible for performing the following tasks with the level of quality, timeliness, and cost, to meet required project and client expectations:
- Apply of scientific and engineering principles and theories, and develop technical approaches and tools to solve a variety of technical problems.
- Travel domestically up to 25% time to perform field assessments and test technical approaches.
- Collaborate effectively with team members across multiple disciplines and technical groups.
- Contribute to technical proposals, project reports, technical products, and journal papers.
- Assist with the development of new capabilities within the group.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS/BA with 2 years of experience; or MS/MA/PhD with 0 years of experience.
- Must possess the appropriate analytic, task management, and communication skills (both oral and written) to articulate the objectives and outcomes of their research.
- Familiarity with engineering design, operation, maintenance and response concepts.
- MS/MA in a technically relevant discipline (e.g., civil engineer, mechanical engineer, chemical engineer, environmental scientist or engineer)
- Demonstrated knowledge of approaches to conserve and optimize water resource use in buildings and on campuses, as well as operation of upstream water utility infrastructure
- Fundamental knowledge of engineering principals related to water equipment and systems including building end-uses, distribution systems, and water and wastewater treatment
- Understanding of building energy systems a plus
- Holds an active U.S. security clearance or has the ability to obtain one.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308011
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Building & Connected Systems