Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Radiation Measurements and Irradiations (RMI) team is looking for a talented scientist to expand the program by initiating new areas of research in neutron metrology, radiation effects testing, and development of advanced dosimetry.
The RMI is within the Radiological Materials and Detection Technical Group. The RMI team manages PNNL’s Radiological Exposures and Metrology (REM) laboratory, a world-class facility for sealed source radiation testing. REM Lab is NIST-accredited to perform over 130 different irradiations; conducts dosimeter proficiency testing in support of the nations’ radiation worker safety programs; has extensive expertise in precise and accurate radiation effects testing; and a nuclear-quality assurance level 1 certified nondestructive assay program as well.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Initiate and lead programs of research related to neutron metrology, radiation effects testing, and/or advanced dosimetry.
- Participate and lead in the publication of key scientific findings in high-impact peer-reviewed journals and technical reports.
- Collaborate with members of technical and management teams to develop proposals directed at meeting business sector and contribution plan targets.
- Identify and help with the development of new, state of the art technologies and technical approaches to advance high impact science.
- Influence and lead the direction of laboratory strategies in the area of radiation sciences.
- Provide support in the establishment and characterization of customized radiation fields for radiation effects testing.
- Develop/plan irradiation protocols for radiation high dose testing (e.g., material and electronics radiation hardness testing, material/sample sterilization, cross-linking, shielding qualification studies).
- Conduct and/or assist in the delivered dose analysis related to radiation high dose testing.
- Provide independent review of NDA analysis and reports on an as needed basis.
- Assist with the characterization, traceability, and accreditation of the REM Lab radiation generating devices
- Accountable to the RMI Manager for project development, execution and closure.
- Identify and document intellectual property
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS/BA with 7 years of experience or MS/MA with 5 years of experience or PhD with 3 years of experience. Relevant degree areas include: Nuclear Engineering, Health, Radiation or General Physics, or other related discipline.
- Must have a well-established national research reputation with distinguished professional achievements. Must have an extensive publication record.
- Position requires the ability to multi-task, working in several loosely connected programs at one time.
- Ability to effectively communicate within a team environment and through presentation of technical work to senior scientists, management and external peers and clients.
- Excellent technical writing skills and a track record of published peer-reviewed journal articles.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308007
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Nuclear Sciences
Group: Radiological Materials & Detection
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
- Potential exposure to controlled levels of ionizing radiation.