Power Systems Engineer - Richland, or Seattle, WA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Our research improves the security, stability, and resiliency of our nation’s energy infrastructures; increases transparency and flexibility; reduces inefficiencies; and improves the general quality of life. We tackle systems as small as heat pumps that can fit into the palm of your hand to as large as control and architectural paradigms spanning supply and demand of the U.S. electrical grid.
To do this, the Electricity Infrastructure group at PNNL develops integrated systems to monitor, diagnose, and understand the operating state of the most complex engineered processes in the world. These processes range from electrical and thermal power generation,, to transmission and distribution and to the end use consumption of energy in industrial and residential facilities.
We are seeking an experienced Power Systems Engineer with strong communications skills who proactively solves problems. This position focuses on performing research related to modeling and control of generation, transmission, and/or distribution systems. Based on the successful candidate’s unique skills, experience, and education, the position can be based at PNNL’s main campus in Richland WA, or in the Seattle office.
- Provide subject matter expertise with a focus on power system models, algorithms, optimization and/or controls for power system planning and operations.
- Form and contribute to interdisciplinary teams to tackle high impact problems
- Develop new funding opportunities, working with business development leads to expand research portfolio.
- Creatively innovate new technical solutions.
- Manage individual projects; including directing other staff, communicating with clients, and, ensuring milestones are met on schedule and budget.
- Develop and implement project management plans for small to moderate multi-disciplinary projects, working with the task leads and program manager to align the activities with overall program and laboratory objectives.
- Publish research results and be accountable for ensuring the quality of products that result from the research performed.
- Prioritize concurrent assignments and exercise judgement on research conduct.
- Mentor junior staff.
- Collaborate with senior staff from across the lab and outside PNNL.
- Ensure safe operating practices are followed on the projects.
- Demonstrate the upmost professional integrity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 5 years’ experience or a Master's degree with 3 years’ experience or a PhD with 1-2 years’ experience.
- Must be a skilled professional who applies a broad basis of existing theories, principles, and concepts to a specialty field.
- Based on client and program requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering is preferred with 3+ years of experience.
- Power system planning experience with utility or independent system operator.
- Strong background in the application of optimization techniques to power systems engineering.
- Experience using multiple power systems tools such as PSLF, PSS/E, PSCad, PowerWorld, GridLAB-D, MatPower, PROMOD, Plexos, etc.
- Active in IEEE Power and Energy Society, or comparable organization.
- Strong programming ability.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307995
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Electricity Infrastructure