Energy Storage Scientist - Project Hire
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
*This is a project hire for the Batt500 project. The duration of the project and your employment is not expected to last beyond 6-12 months.*
This position is for a highly motivated scientist working in energy storage systems. This position will work with senior researchers on applied materials research specific to energy storage. The successful candidate will have a strong background in polymers and electrolytes that can be used in different battery technologies. This scientist will join a team of over 40 world-class scientists and engineers working on a diverse portfolio of storage technologies. The successful candidate will work closely with DOE and DOD sponsors to accelerate the development and deployment of new technologies for mobile and stationary energy storage applications.
The successful candidate's primary responsibility will be the development of new energy storage technologies including device fabrication and testing. Specifically, the candidate will:
- Collaborate within larger project teams to accomplish objectives; receive guidance on new assignments, make preliminary selections on technical alternatives, independently complete recurring assignments, and lead elements or sections of technical products as needed.
- Conduct state-of-the-art experimentation that adheres to PNNL safety standards, policies, and procedures. Use know-how to help improve overall laboratory safety culture. Demonstrate accurate recordkeeping of all calculations and experiments.
- Clear and concise written and oral presentation of data, analysis, and conclusions.
- Provide technical contribution through problem-solving, innovation, and creativity, including the production of ideas that are marketable and/or patentable.
- Mentor junior staff and students in both technical and safety matters.
- Build a professional reputation both inside and outside of PNNL via clear and concise written and oral presentation of data, both internal and external reports, prepare manuscripts for publications and present their work at national/international conferences.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS/BA with 0-1 years of experience; MS/MA with 0-1 years of experience
- MS/MA with 2 years of applied materials science research specific to energy storage.
- The Candidate should possess strong analytical, task management, and communications skills, both oral and written, and be able to communicate clearly the goals, parameters, objectives and outcomes of their research.
- The candidate should be adept at working within small to moderate size technical teams.
- Prior experience on device preparation from micro batteries to pouch cells is preferred. Experience on battery testing in extreme conditions is also desired.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307973
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Energy Process & Materials
Group: Electrochemical Materials & Systems