Senior Technical Advisor - Storage Reliability and Integration
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Better batteries drive better technology. At PNNL, our researchers advance the growing and significant field of batteries through expertise in materials, manufacturing, and design. Our achievements in battery technology range from the creation of a new class of vanadium redox flow batteries—often used for grid energy storage—to powering devices the size of two grains of rice.
PNNL seeks a recognized leader with a national or international reputation in energy storage integration and standards development to join a collaborative team of over 40 world-class scientists and engineers working on a diverse portfolio of storage technologies. The successful candidate will be tasked with providing leadership for PNNL’s energy storage integration efforts and will work closely with DOE sponsors to define critical research and development areas in order to develop a research program with other national labs, industry, and academia to enable greater adoption of energy storage technologies.
- Play a key role in defining the integration, safety, and reliability challenges impacting deployment of energy storage systems as distributed energy resources.
- Work with a diverse stakeholder group ranging from developers of energy storage systems, utilities, and codes authorities to facilitate the development of standards for emerging energy storage systems.
- Work with members of technical and management teams to advise on proposals with total value greater than $1M per year that are directed at meeting PNNL business sector and business volume targets.
- Participate in professional societies at the regional, national, and international level.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS with 10+ years of experience; MS with 6+ years of experience; or PhD with 3+ years of experience.
- The Senior Storage Integration Engineer position must have an extensive record of working within the utility, developer, and standards community in a leadership position within these organizations.
- Widely recognized authority in energy storage integration and deployment who has had substantial impact on advancing the current state of knowledge and understanding of energy storage systems and their deployment.
- Demonstrated track record of impact by leading national efforts to identify integration challenges of energy storage systems with a knowledge of energy storage technologies and distributed energy storage resources (DER).
- Demonstrated experience in leading national efforts on energy storage integration and relevant utility and industrial experience impacting energy storage deployment.
- Demonstrated leadership with storage integration standards efforts, e.g. IEEE 1547, and track record of working with diverse stakeholder groups to facilitate a consensus-based approach to complex problems.
- Evidence of attracting significant program funding, influencing and setting organizational strategy, and mentoring scientists and engineers across the scientific community.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307972
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Energy Process & Materials
Group: Electrochemical Materials & Systems