Isotope Mass Spectroscopist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is recruiting a qualified scientist to collaborate on research involving light stable isotope (13C, 2H, 15N, 18O) and metal isotope analysis. The appointment is in the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) at PNNL and research will involve contributions to a large number of projects spanning microbial ecology, rhizosphere science, geochemistry, forensics, instrument development, and other research challenges. Daily duties will include taking an active role in instrument maintenance, performing sample analysis in support of multiple projects, and supporting users of the instrumentation. A successful candidate for this position will have significant experience in isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) operation and familiarity with a subset of associated peripheral devices in the PNNL stable isotope laboratory including: elemental analyzers, laser ablation sample introduction, gas bench, dual inlet, thermal conversion elemental analyzer, and gas chromatographs with combustion / pyrolysis interface. The successful candidate will also take an active role in work with various inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry research efforts. The position also involves opportunities to work with the EMSL scientific community on their research projects. A successful candidate will display enthusiasm for working on interdisciplinary projects with members of the larger EMSL and PNNL community.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
BS/BA with 0-1 years of experience; MS/MA with 0-1 years of experience
• Bachelor's degree in microbiology, ecology, geochemistry, environmental science or related technical field from an accredited college or university and 5+ years of experience in related research; or Master's degree in microbiology, ecology, geochemistry, environmental science or related technical field from an accredited college or university and 2+ years of experience in related research.
• Must have received Master's degree in microbiology, ecology, geochemistry, environmental science or related technical field from an accredited college or university and 5+ years of experience in related research.
• Must have IRMS operating, maintenance, and troubleshooting experience. Expertise with Thermo or Sercon instrumentation is particularly desirable although not required
• Must have experience processing and evaluating IRMS data
• Must have experience with methods development and sample preparation for IRMS
• Experience with different ICP-MS instruments and techniques is desirable
• Experience with a wide array of IRMS peripheral devices is desirable with emphasis placed on:
- Elemental analyzer
- Laser ablation sample introduction
- Gas bench
• Experience with sample preparation, including in a clean room environment, is beneficial
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307965
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental & Molecular Sciences Laboratory
Group: Environmental Dynamics & Simulation