Biomedical / Biochemcial Scientist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a multi-program laboratory operated by Battelle for the US DOE. The Chemical and Biological Signature Science Group (CBSS) is an interdisciplinary group of approximately 50 biologists, chemists, and engineers that solve research and development problems related to chemical and biological detection and forensics. Much of the work involves trace detection in complex samples including environmental, food, or biological samples, and is directed toward national security missions to prevent and counter acts of terrorism and the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. Key challenges include: identifying the appropriate signatures, sample collection/preservation and preparation, development of detection and analysis technologies, and development of approaches and analytical methods for high confidence measurements.
CBSS is seeking a biological or biochemical scientist to contribute to research focused broadly on the identification and characterization of bacteria, viruses and/or biological toxins that are problematic for human health and/or of concern to national security sponsors. The successful candidate will be a member of an inter-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and program managers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- BS with 2+ years of experience, or Master’s or Ph.D. degree. Must have a degree in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, biomedical engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to independently apply basic microbiology, molecular biology and/or biochemistry techniques in a biosafety level 2 research and development setting
- Experience working in technical teams to deliver specific project tasks within scope, schedule and budget
- Experience working with solvents and other chemicals
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and recommend approaches to solve routine laboratory problems
- Experience thoroughly documenting experiments, including methods and results
- Experience with bacterial cell culture, viral cell culture, mammalian cell culture, and/or protein preparation
- Experience extracting cellular components from complex matrices (e.g., soil, water, surface swipes, clinical samples)
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience with bioinformatics
- Experience contributing to peer-reviewed publications or technical reports
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307796
Directorate: National Security
Division: Signature Science & Technology
Group: Chemical & Biological Signature Sciences
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
This position will require experimental work involving exposure to risk group 1 and 2 biological agents, biological toxins, typical laboratory chemicals, and equipment that are appropriately assessed and managed to prevent exposing staff to hazards.