Senior Associate Energy Research Economist
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Energy Policy and Economics Group of the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), located in Richland, WA, seeks a Senior Associate Energy Research Economist to conduct and publish research covering several important energy economics questions including economic and energy impacts of energy storage technologies and policies, future energy-efficient technology adoption, localized economic impacts of climate adaptation, market impacts of potential future electric grid enabling technologies, energy security, and other policy analyses. The successful candidate will work in a cross-disciplinary environment using a range of modeling tools and approaches and spanning several technical domains. The successful candidate will be expected to conduct research in close collaboration with other PNNL economists, analysts, engineers and scientists together with outside collaborators, publish scholarly papers in open literature, and participate in national and international research efforts. The associate will play a central role in several cutting-edge or policy-relevant interdisciplinary research projects at PNNL.
The Energy Policy and Economics Group at PNNL is comprised of an interdisciplinary team of economists, scientists, and engineers dedicated to understanding all aspects of energy markets including efficient technologies, alternative energy resources, resource extraction, national and local impacts of policy, and the interface between human and natural systems. A major research focus of our group is to develop modeling approaches that integrate domains as needed, including energy and the economy, land-use, agriculture, water, climate, fisheries, and terrestrial ecosystems.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Ability to expand career with growing scientific and\or technical credentials in the areas of energy economics, policy analysis & modeling, and energy infrastructure using new and innovative approaches.
- Accountable to the Energy Policy & Economics Technical Group Manager for growing\developing technical expertise and communicating development and infrastructure needs.
- To Project Managers for performing assigned project roles on time, within budget, and with attention to detail and quality.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- B.S. degree with 2+ years of experience, or MS/PhD degree, related to economics fields of research: economics, energy economics, natural resource economics, agricultural economics, econometrics, or statistics with an economics thrust.
- A demonstrated understanding of energy\grid technologies and policy, electricity markets and regulation, energy storage technologies and valuation, production cost modeling, natural resource and climate issues, and/or energy modeling would be ideal. Experience across a broad range of economics questions is desired.
- Experience with economics related modeling tools and languages is valuable.
- Demonstrated excellent English written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment are necessary.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307752
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Energy Policy & Economics