Senior Technical Advisor
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a multi-program laboratory operated by Battelle for the US DOE. As a member of the Chemical & Biological Signatures Science group in the National Security Directorate, the incumbent in this position provides intelligence analysis support for DOE/IN and other agencies of the Intelligence Community (IC). Analyses will support senior policy makers on issues related to the Intelligence Community relationships, potential proliferation of weapons of mass destruction by foreign countries and sub-state organizations.
- Work in a diverse group of staff in support of multiple government agencies. Work will be collaborative with DOE Headquarters Staff and other National Laboratories.
- The incumbent in this position provides intelligence analysis support for DOE/IN. The incumbent may also provide intelligence analysis support to other agencies of the Intelligence Community (IC). Products will take the form of written reports and oral briefings on issues related to potential proliferation of radiological or nuclear weapons of mass destruction by foreign countries and possibly sub-state organizations. Products may also take the form of written reports and oral briefings on issues related to potential proliferation of chemical or biological weapons of mass destruction by foreign countries and possibly sub-state organizations.
- The incumbent is expected to have extensive technical expertise with a command of specialized in-depth knowledge in a relevant field. The incumbent’s distinguished performance and specialized knowledge should be at a level that establishes them as a national expert, with a technical network across multiple DOE/NNSA national laboratories and other government agencies including the IC.
- The incumbent is expected to provide the technical and programmatic leadership to provide unique, creative analyses based on limited information for difficult problems of extreme importance to US national security. This includes early identification of high-risk issues and the development and implementation of methods to mitigate these risks and resolve the issues. Work is performed in a high-security environment with strict “need-to-know” rules.
Discipline, principal job duties/expectations, and qualitative and quantitative measures of performance that exceed the Functional Descriptor:
- The incumbent will be responsible for contributing to projects and building a professional reputation through application of engineering principles and developing technical approaches to solve challenges.
- The incumbent will be required to build networks at a local and capability level, effectively team with others, and optimize research at the group and division level.
- The incumbent will be required to make preliminary selections on technical alternatives, independently complete recurring assignments, define and lead project work at a small task/project level, and report results on time and within budget.
- The incumbent is expected to contribute to proposals, embrace quality, safety and security expectations, and communicate the importance of these expectations within the work team.
- Additionally, the incumbent is expected to be a member of the professional community, present at national or international forums, and lead elements or sections of technical products.
- This position will be expected to work with non-sensitive, sensitive, and classified information as appropriate for individual projects and the incumbent should demonstrate an ability to manage sensitive business situations and influence positive outcomes. The person in this position must recognize and accept that they will be working in technical areas associated with the National Security of the United States.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- Bachelor’s degree in plus at least 12+ years of experience, OR Master degree plus 10+ years of experience, OR PhD plus 5+ years of experience: Degree Discipline must be in nuclear engineer or physics OR chemistry or biology.
- Previous experience in performing IC analysis and preparing analysis documents is highly desirable.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307733
Directorate: National Security
Division: Signatures Science & Technology
Group: Chemical & Biological Signature Sciences
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.