Nuclear Energy Market Sector Administrator
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position provides primary and comprehensive, advanced level administrative support to the managers and senior staff within the Energy and Environment Sector, including managers of the Nuclear and Clean Fossil Energy and Market Sectors representing over $50M in annual sales, and provide support to the Chief Architect for Electric Grid Transformation within the Energy and Environment Directorate. This position has significant internal and external interactions with senior level staff and management and multiple DOE Headquarter offices, private sector industrial leaders, legislative offices at the state and national level, other National Laboratories and numerous Universities across the country.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Understand/aware of sector-specific clients and expectations. Acts independently and with maturity of judgment and confidentiality, in analyzing communications, situational events and taking appropriate actions for transmission of information to other authority levels, both internally and externally, consistent with expectations.
- Routinely drafts e-mails and correspondence and sends on behalf of manager. Interfaces with and coordinates activities between various Directorates and outside parties.
- Manage logistics for client and partners visits to PNNL. This includes badging, logistics, meals/refreshments, agenda, and coordination of internal notifications with management and staff, routine interface with protocol office, and external contact with visitors in coordination with sector managers. Track FNVAs for foreign national visitors who meet and interact with our staff.
- Perform general administrative functions such as management and scheduling of sector manager calendars; providing professional consistent and reliable telephone coverage to assure clients and prospective client inquiries receive human engagement and timely responses; managing the e-mail inbox of the manager; purchasing items for Sectors and EED Leadership team, and making prioritization decisions with minimal guidance.
- Make travel arrangements which often include frequent in-travel disruptions, troubleshooting and coordination with the in-house travel representatives, and processing of related travel expense reports.
- Assembly and creation of reports/presentations/agendas; compose, edit and format routine communications on behalf of the market sector offices.
- Work independently on complex tasks and leads teams to research issues, analyze problems, determine approaches, compile data and prepares recommendations. Supports process improvement efforts.
- Create and maintain a strong network and establish positive working relationships throughout the directorate, Laboratory and external customers and contacts. Working with technical staff to assure that input requests from the Sectors are met.
- Coordinate with administrative team to accomplish assigned tasks. Mentor and train new or junior staff.
MAJOR CHALLENGES: Working independently with minimal direction while dealing with regular interruptions and time-constrained issues; maintaining a broad working knowledge of a wide variety of activities conducted by separate functions; exercising a high degree of initiative and judgment in advisement and monitoring of senior management activities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- High School diploma with 5-8 years of experience in administrative environment, or combination of education and relevant experience. Must have experience supporting senior or executive level staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate with all levels of Executive/Senior staff, sponsors and stakeholders.
- Must be able to perform advanced administrative support functions and have the ability to effectively apply procedures, work independently, and direct workflow of others as appropriate.
- Possess advanced skills in MS Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and SharePoint software.
- Must be able to identify potential administrative problems/areas for continuous improvement, recommend solutions and assist with directing implementation.
- Must possess strong administrative, organizational and prioritization skills; initiative, judgment, and reliability to complete tasks with minimal guidance. Must also demonstrate ability to handle and appropriately respond to a high degree of sensitive, confidential, and business sensitive information and activities.
- Ability to set an example for collaborative working relationships with coworkers, contribute to a positive working environment, and have the ability to be flexible under deadlines and constant challenges.
- Must be able to demonstrate discretion and good judgment; independently make decisions; positively interact with a wide-variety of PNNL staff and sponsors of all levels; resolve and/or advise management on a wide range of administrative issues.
- Must be able to provide training, mentoring and guidance to less senior or new staff when necessary.
- Extensive knowledge of Battelle, PNNL, and DOE policies and procedures, and organizational structure is preferred.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307728
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Energy & Environment Sector