Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position will provide support to the Laboratory's research in Control of Energy Systems. This position will focus on research related to advanced control theory for the power grid, buildings and buildings-to-grid integration, but might also encompass a much wider range of control applications such as transportation and manufacturing systems. A successful candidate will be responsible to conduct independent research, develop new ideas and contribute to research proposals, engage with sector managers in relevant areas, prepare manuscripts for publication, and present their work to clients and at conferences. This position will also mentor junior staff in key technical areas of advanced controls and develop teams to expand the research.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The candidate will serve as a technical expert and task lead on multiple significant projects or tasks. This will include:
- Performing independently the activities assigned under the direction and guidance of the project manager, by selecting and developing technical approaches to project work assignments.
- Leading portions of large, complex, formal documents, such as project reports, journal articles, conference papers, and presentations.
- Contributing to technical proposals for developing new projects and business.
- Working with senior staff and project managers to develop and implement project management plans for projects of various sizes.
- Working in a team environment of high-performance multi-disciplinary experts.
- Mentoring junior level staff.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
- Bachelor's degree with 2 years of experience, or an advanced degree.
- Strong theoretical foundation in network-based control theory, distributed control theory and/or distributed decision-making theory (game theory, machine learning, etc.).
- Good understanding of power and/or buildings system controls or other energy system controls. The candidate would be expected to develop new theory and/or apply existing theory, tools, and technologies within the aforementioned domains.
- Strong analytical, task management, and communications skills, both oral and written, and able to communicate clearly the goals, parameters, objectives and outcomes of their research.
- Master’s Degree with 2+ years of experience or Ph.D.
- Adept at working with moderate to large size technical teams. Able to mentor junior staff in key technical areas in the area of advanced controls and participate in teams to expand the research.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307639
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Optimization & Control