Energy System Optimization & Control Engineer
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
This position will provide support the Laboratory's research in Optimization and Control of Energy Systems. This position will focus on research related to development and application of advanced optimization and control theory for power systems, buildings and buildings-to-grid integration. A successful candidate will be required to conduct independent research, develop new ideas and contribute to research proposals, engage with sector managers in relevant areas, prepare manuscripts for publication, and present their work to clients and at conferences.
The candidate will serve as a technical expert and task lead on multiple significant projects or tasks. This will include:
• Performing independently the activities assigned under the direction and guidance of the project manager, by selecting and developing technical approaches to project work assignments.
• Leading portions of large, complex, formal documents, such as project reports, journal articles, conference papers, and presentations.
• Contributing to technical proposals for developing new projects and business.
• Working with senior staff and project managers to develop and implement project management plans for projects of various sizes.
• Working in a team environment of high-performance multi-disciplinary experts.
• To Project and Product Line Managers for performing assigned project roles on time and within budget, as well as for properly executing task and project management roles and identifying changes that could affect project success.
• To Technical Group Manager for maintaining expertise and communicating development and infrastructure needs, mentoring junior level staff, as well as identifying opportunities for business development and growth.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
• Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of experience or an advanced degree.
• Strong theoretical foundation in optimization and control.
• Expertise in optimization modeling language and various linear/nonlinear optimization solvers for optimization problems, especially in energy storage optimal scheduling.
• Good understanding of power system operation and planning, engineering economics and power market.
• Research experience in demand response, energy storages and other distributed energy resources, renewable energy, microgrid, buildings and their integration to grid.
• Research experience in voltage stability and management in distribution systems, ACOPF.
• Expertise in MATLAB, Python, and Julia.
• Strong analytical, task management, and communications skills, both oral and written, and able to communicate clearly the goals, parameters, objectives and outcomes of their research.
An advanced degree is preferred.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307633
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Optimization & Control