Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The User Program Services (UPS) Specialist II is a data and systems analyst responsible for providing technical expertise, analysis and products to support the activities of the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL), a DOE Office of Science national scientific user facility. EMSL conducts research with over 700 researchers annually from academia, government laboratories, industry, and the international scientific community who gain access to EMSL resources through a competitive peer review process. As a national user facility, EMSL must adhere to a very specific and unique set of policies, procedures, and reporting requirements. This position is responsible for monitoring and reporting on the productivity of the facility with monthly and quarterly data quality assessments and reports, including researcher and institution counts and instrument utilization, ad hoc reports and data analysis on the research output of the facility, and investigation of system bugs or data errors with recommendations for correction and improvement.
The incumbent is expected to provide effective and timely communication of moderate to complex issues to management throughout the lifecycle of the research conducted with EMSL resources. Consequently, the UPS Specialist II requires a detailed knowledge of EMSL’s research capabilities, as well as user facility operating requirements and deliverables. Due to the complex nature of the data management system providing program oversight for EMSL, this position requires a broad understanding of EMSL and PNNL software systems and tools and integration of EMSL functions with Laboratory policies and procedures.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Monitor the successful operation of the EMSL Usage System (EUS), EMSL’s data and management system, which includes an external Portal and internal utilization/scheduling tool
• Actively participate on the EUS development team to provide design and operational input on system updates and modifications and contribute to the successful deployment via execution of software code test cases.
• Work with EUS using advanced SQL to prepare detailed annual, quarterly, monthly and ad hoc reports for DOE, Office of Science, BER, and PNNL management.
• Work with a diverse client population (EMSL management team, senior research staff, and university staff), and independently handle moderate to complex issues with senior scientific staff and external customers and researchers (in-person, written, phone, electronically).
• Proactively and creatively develop solutions for a variety of problems of moderate complexity utilizing a breadth of tracking and reporting tools and policies.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of relevant experience. Advanced degree and 0-2 years of relevant experience
Bachelor's degree with related experience in an Office of Science national scientific user facility or equivalent data analyst position is preferred, along with a working knowledge of EMSL policies, practices, and procedures. In addition, experience in one or more of the following areas is preferred:
• Experience with project management and software development process methodologies and tools, including Agile and JIRA
• Experience with Tableau visualization and reporting software
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Advanced MS Excel skills
• Experience with Oracle, Access, and a variety of business database applications
• Experience with automating tasks in Excel using VBA
• Strong experience writing and manipulating SQL queries to create complex custom reports
• Experience with visualization reporting tools
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307631
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
Group: Scientific & Computing Operations