Energy Systems Analyst-Arlington, VA location
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)’s Buildings & Connected Systems Group is seeking an Energy Systems Analyst to support PNNL’s work with the Department of Defense (DoD) in the area of site energy resilience project opportunity assessment. This position requires working onsite with the DoD sponsor organization in the Washington D.C. area for at least one year, before transitioning to PNNL or other sponsor offices in the D.C. area.
This position provides direct contributions to the Department of Defense by serving as an on-site energy technology analyst of large-scale energy security and resilience projects. The position will provide task leadership for discrete pieces of larger resilience project opportunity assessments. Primary responsibilities include:
• Providing technical expertise, analysis, and technical work products to inform evaluation new project feasibility and associated energy security and resilience benefits.
• Gathering and analyzing information through reputable secondary sources and interviews with government and industry representatives, and evaluating that information to identify risks and opportunities and determine a recommended course of action.
• Utilizing technical expertise across multiple scientific and engineering, policy and management disciplines, including mechanical engineering, power systems engineering, cyber security for communications, risk assessment, and others.
• Working collaboratively with a team of geographically distributed subject matter experts.
• Communicating findings to both technical and non-technical audiences through sponsor briefings and white papers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
• Bachelor’s degree with 6 years of experience, or an advanced degree with 4 years of experience.
• 3 or more years of experience relevant to energy system design, analysis and/or management.
• Demonstrated knowledge of energy systems, including generation, storage, transmission and loads.
• Must be able to pass background checks to obtain access to U.S. military installations.
• U.S. Citizenship is required based on project and client requirements.
• Direct experience in Army energy management, public works, or master planning with knowledge of project planning, funding, and execution.
• Experience with energy resilience projects (e.g. distributed energy systems, micro-grids) and working with utility organizations.
• Takes independent initiative to find answers to technical challenges, and work with speed and flexibility to meet aggressive timelines and evolving project demands.
• Demonstrated ability to become familiar with technologies and technical concepts quickly, at sufficient depth for project analysis and comparison to other approaches.
• Uses a collaborative approach to problem-solving.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with personnel in diverse job functions, expertise, and levels of responsibility, including directors, technical advisors, and field personnel.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated ability for writing concisely and clearly.
• Degree in engineering preferred, such as mechanical or electrical.
• Must be willing to travel domestically to U.S. military installations as required by the project (up to 20% time).
• Direct experience in Army energy management, public works, or master planning in developing, funding and executing projects; experience collaborating with utility organizations on energy projects is preferred.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307589
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Buildings & Connected Systems