Project Manager-Arlington, VA location
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)’s Buildings & Connected Systems Group is seeking a project manager to support PNNL’s work with the Department of Defense (DoD) in the area of site energy resilience planning and assessment. This position requires working onsite with the DoD sponsor organization in the Washington D.C. area for at least a year, before transitioning to PNNL or other sponsor offices in the D.C. area.
This position provides direct contributions to the Department of Defense by serving as an on-site technical advisor and on-site project manager responsible for planning and assessment of large-scale energy security and resilience projects. This position requires interaction with senior government and industry officials in the United States. The position requires management and coordination of day-to-day program activities such as directing project teams, interacting with key project partners, coordinating policy development, planning, and management briefings, and coordinating internal program office support activities. The applicant will be expected to participate with other PNNL staff members to coordinate efforts, share ideas, and develop custom solutions in a collaborative environment.
Additionally, this position will coordinate closely with PNNL project management and technical staff from PNNL’s main campus in Richland, Washington to oversee execution of work scope, budget and schedule, and ensure the successful implementation of projects. The position will require the candidate to oversee those support staff that support project implementation from various locations. The position will assist with evaluating the appropriateness and technical credibility of the work scope and developing criteria and performance metrics to evaluate project progress. Finally, the position will work with Line and Sector Management in identification and development of new projects and opportunities including those related to building energy performance, renewables integration, and microgrids. This will require understanding of sponsor’s needs as well as PNNL’s capabilities and identifying where PNNL may best aid the sponsors in achieving their goals.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
• Bachelor’s degree with 6 years of experience, or an advanced degree with 4 years of experience.
• 3 or more years of experience relevant to task leadership and/or project management, and depth of knowledge in science and/or methods needed to deliver project.
• Possesses a comprehensive understanding of effective project management practices and principles and demonstrates proficiency in applying a disciplined approach to project management.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability for writing concisely and clearly.
• Must be willing to travel domestically to U.S. military installations as required by the project.
• Must be able to pass background checks to obtain access to U.S. military installations.
• U.S. Citizenship is required based on project and client requirements.
• Demonstrated capability to interact successfully with Government project sponsors and senior program managers.
• Direct experience in Army energy management, public works, or master planning with knowledge of project planning, funding, and execution is preferred.
• Demonstrated track record of managing projects or large tasks, including ability to work with personnel across science and technology (S&T) domains on various S&T challenges.
• PMP certification or demonstrated equivalent (knowledge competency criteria) encouraged.
• Demonstrated ability to independently initiate and carry out new activities.
Direct experience in Army energy management, public works, or master planning in developing, funding and executing projects.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307588
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Buildings & Connected Systems