Executive Assistant, Energy & Environment Directorate
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Energy & Environment Directorate (EED) is seeking an experienced administrator to provide executive-level administrative support to the EED Associate Laboratory Director (ALD). In this role, the Executive Assistant (EA) provides a public face to EED sponsors and staff. The EA serves as the ALD’s business partner and right hand ensuring organizational commitments are met by prioritizing and expediting the flow of work through the office while maintaining the highest ethical standards and integrity. The EA acts independently and with extraordinary maturity of judgment and confidentiality, in analyzing communications flow (oral, written, electronic, etc.) and handling a broad range of situations and events, and taking appropriate actions as required. The EA responds with flexibility to shifting priorities and rapid change, maintains composure under stress, and works effectively with others.
The Executive Assistant’s daily activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Prioritizes and schedules appointments/meetings; assembling background information as needed for presentations, work projects, and reports.
• Proactively anticipates the day-to-day needs of ALD and supplies a daily briefing inclusive of action items, meeting materials and background/context on each meeting, most often gleaned from conversations, prior meetings and/or emails.
• Manages email on behalf of ALD, within the prescribed authority, including confidential matters, referring matters to subject matter experts, both within the Directorate and across the Laboratory as needed. Tracks critical items to completion, monitors status of assignments and deadlines to ensure timely completion, and reports outcome(s) back to ALD.
• Frequently arranges complex travel including meeting with leaders at Department of Energy Headquarters, industry partners, other national laboratories, and domestic and international conferences. Compiles talking points and/or presentations to be used in those meetings.
• Maintains awareness of the areas the ALD is engaged in, gathering information from across the organization. Assimilates information quickly and asks questions to fill in the gaps. Uses this information to proactively problem solve issues for the ALD. Maintains awareness of priority projects the ALD is working on and tracks the deliverables assigned to all project team members.
• Utilizes working knowledge of PNNL systems, processes, and policies to efficiently and effectively manage overall office operations, and seeks out continuous process improvements.
• Represents the ALD Office in its interactions with all levels of Battelle staff and management, actively and independently coordinating and completing various tasks consistent with Battelle policy and applicable requirements.
• Works closely with the Laboratory Director’s Executive Assistant (EA), ALD direct reports, and internal and external sponsors while ensuring the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of office operations. Collaborates with other directorate ALD EAs and is a contributing member of the EA team.
• Works closely with the directorate Planning & Analysis office to execute the EED planning cycle, including but not limited to, strategy retreats, business planning meetings, and Directorate Advisory Committee (DAC) sessions, and commitments.
• Works closely with the EED Lead HR Manager to coordinate and facilitate annual performance reviews and salary activities for ALD direct reports.
• Leads the EED administrative team to find best practice solutions to identified problems. Supports the administrative team to promote process improvements within their group or across the organization. Mentors EED administrators and recommends opportunities for development.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
• High school diploma with over 8 years’ experience, with 6 or more years in an administrative environment, or an equivalent combination of relevant training and experience. A minimum of 4 years’ experience work at the executive level.
• Experience functioning in a fast paced environment, planning executive level meetings, and making complex foreign and domestic travel arrangements.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills, including experience writing, editing and proofing documents and presentations; adapting content as needed from earlier products or from other sources.
• High degree of flexibility and tolerance for ambiguity as priorities of the ALD office shift frequently. Must be able to work independently on tasks relevant to the success of the ALD office and use discretion and good judgment to make independent decisions. Must have demonstrated ability to make sound decisions independently.
• Demonstrated proficient use of standard office equipment and advanced experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel).
• Demonstrated high level of attention to detail. Must have the ability to independently prioritize work, coordinate calendars/schedules, track progress and follow through on commitments and action items.
• Understands the executive office support function and possess the ability to effectively apply procedures, and direct workflow of others as appropriate.
• Proven ability to establish positive working relationships with a wide variety of management, staff, and sponsors at all levels; resolve and/or advise management on a wide-range of administrative issues; hold in confidence highly sensitive information; and provide training and guidance to administrative as needed.
• Work experience at PNNL is preferred.
• Advanced knowledge of broader Lab policies, procedures, and practices.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307586
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
• Occasional domestic travel is required.