IT Support Engineer
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Come and work for a billion-dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’ (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Our Technology Support Engineer offers premier IT support services to our customers and researchers, which is critical to the overall success of our organization at PNNL. This position is all about providing outstanding customer service by enabling the use of leading edge information technology for research and operations staff working on the latest innovative science. Our TechDesk staff provide both phone, desk-side and remote support to a broad and diverse customer base. In this position you will also provide, scripting, network support and troubleshooting, wireless support, mobile device support. You will also be a coach and advisor to customers on the best application of technology solutions to meet their needs, installation of system software, perform periodic upgrades, and troubleshoot to resolve technical incidents and problems thereby restoring our customers to productivity. Our staff offer bold support in a personal manner making the customer experience as effortless as possible.
You are a one-stop shop for supporting all things tech. You thrive on using your creative approach to solve difficult challenges. You are a highly trained and experienced Technology employee focused on the customer experience with the goal of restoring productivity as fast as possible. You take pride in generating and promoting innovative ideas to drive product improvements and user productivity. You are quick to learn new technologies and take pride in cross platform expertise. While you live, eat, and breathe technology, your ultimate focus is on creating a simple and intuitive human experience that masks technical complexities. You have an instinctive understanding of how things fit together and take pride in creating the glue that brings systems together seamlessly. As someone with strong interpersonal skills you have the ability to effectively interact with customers, collaborate with other IT support staff, and are passionate about technology. You bring strong troubleshooting skills and outside the box thinking to problem solving with your team. You understand the importance of process and culture in high performing organizations and thrive in a fast paced, high tech environment focused on results. You are a life-long learner devoted to the concepts of continuous improvement in everything you do.
You embrace new ideas, maintain positive attitude even in challenging situations, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
• Mobile device s in a BYOD environment
• Troubleshoot, research, and resolve complex technical issues
• Proactively identify novel technologies that will enhance IT and demonstration capabilities at the lab.
• Work with computer scientists to install and maintain research grade software and prototypes for demonstrations and user study purposes.
• Provide customers with a personal, professional experience when requesting IT services and support.
• Perform work with the reliability, efficiency, and customer service orientation required to provide support from initial request to close-out.
• Manage your work and schedule to meet customer expectations and within service levels.
• Establish, maintain, and execute standard operating procedures to leverage efficiencies and best practices.
• Engage with technical service team leads to ensure effective support for these services and to consult on process issues and improvement.
• Use exceptional communication skills when interacting with both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Use cutting edge technology to perform proactive incident management.
• Install and maintain hardware/software systems, and, support all things technological for our research customers.
• Provide support on an as needed basis for a variety of projects.
• Provide support for Mac, Windows PC, Linux/Unix, Android, and iOS.
• Manage work in Maximo Ticketing system.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively make an impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Bachelor's degree with 2 years of experience, MS/MA or PhD with 0 years of experience, 10 years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience required.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 2 years’ experience
• Experience with OS X, iOS, Windows and Android highly desirable
• Ability self-direct, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and priorities
• Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
• Thorough understanding of Windows and Mac based personal computers, current operating systems, TCP/IP networking and office automations and productivity software such as the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project and Access)
• Technical certifications, such as Microsoft Certified Processional (MCP), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Comp ITA A+, Comp ITA Network+, HDI Support Center Analyst and HDI Desktop Support Technician, are preferred but not required.
• Experience installing and troubleshooting operating systems, device drivers, and software applications
• Experience providing customer service and technical support, both on-site, remote and via the telephone
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to team and collaborate effectively, a team player.
• Demonstrated troubleshooting and creative problem solving ability
• Deliver results with highest level of professionalism and integrity
• Demonstrated ability to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307436
Directorate: Communications and Information Technology
Division: IT Service Delivery
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.