Technical Group Manager, Radiation Detection & Nuclear Sciences (RDNS)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Signatures Science & Technology Division is seeking a Technical Group Manager to lead the Radiation Detection and Nuclear Sciences (RDNS) Group. RDNS is a growing organization of 50+ staff who conduct research in areas including fundamental particle physics, applied radiation detection for nuclear nonproliferation, radiation imaging and material science, low background radiation detectors and radiation transport modeling and simulation. The group focuses on the development and deployment of radiation detectors as well as experimental high energy particle physics and nuclear physics, radiation imaging, and stochastic and deterministic radiation transport methods to characterize the response of radiation detectors. The successful applicant will provide direct management, development, and stewardship for strong core capabilities in basic and applied nuclear science and technology, and will also provide direct technical and project leadership to R&D activities, leveraging his/her sponsor connections and expertise to enhance PNNL’s reputation as a laboratory of choice in a wide array of national mission areas.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 8 years’ experience, or an Advanced Degree plus 6 years’ experience
- Demonstrated skills and experience leading technical organizations and stewarding core experimental capabilities
- Strong, proven interpersonal communications, problem solving and human relations skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with internal staff and to succeed at program development and liaison activities with sponsors and other organizations
- Experience and demonstrated ability to lead and work with multi-organizational teams across the laboratory, other national laboratories, and sponsors
- Well-developed oral and written communications skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- 10 or more years of demonstrated success in the areas of analytical chemistry, physics, radiochemistry, nuclear chemistry, nuclear engineering, environmental chemistry, chemical engineering, or related fields
- Advanced knowledge of applied research and DOE programs in high energy physics and related areas
- Experience with radiological laboratory operations, including experience with sealed source and contamination area operations
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307247
Directorate: National Security
Division: Signature Science & Technology
Group: Radiation Detection & Nuclear Sciences
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
The successful applicant will manage experimental laboratories containing typical laboratory chemicals, radiological sources, instrumentation and equipment that are appropriately assessed and managed to prevent exposing staff to hazards.