Manager, Nuclear Energy Market Sector
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Energy and Environment Sector within the Energy and Environment Directorate (EED) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is seeking a Nuclear Energy Market Sector Manager, reporting directly to the EED Associate Laboratory Director (ALD). This position is responsible for leading PNNL’s nuclear energy strategy and interactions with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Energy, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and domestic and international nuclear power industry sponsors. This position is responsible for ensuring that PNNL’s nuclear science capabilities support DOE and other sponsors’ most important priorities. The Nuclear Energy Sector represents about $30M of sponsored research and development programs.
- Develop a nuclear energy strategy that communicates national needs, mission priorities, growth opportunities, accountabilities, partners, EED resource allocations, and overall mission impact.
- Implement the nuclear energy strategy in collaboration with EED ALD, Chief Science & Technology Officer, and line management from across EED and PNNL.
- Build and sustain collaborations with Idaho National Laboratory and other national laboratories.
- Develop and maintain strategic, influential relationships with Laboratory sponsors and industry leaders, as well as internal leaders and research staff.
- Communicate business opportunities and sponsor expectations broadly to staff and internal colleagues.
- Project areas for growth in the nuclear energy markets and anticipate the capabilities needed to capture and deliver on that business.
- Track funding and meet funding targets, with responsibility for growing business with new and existing sponsors and maintaining a funding pipeline that tracks milestones and opportunities.
- Coordinate and integrate with other sector and directorate activities and priorities, such as EED’s Environmental Health & Remediation sector and PNNL’s National Security Directorate.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Sector Manager leads a team of staff engaged with nuclear energy research to develop and execute strategic research and development priorities. He/she draws upon existing technical capabilities and supports the development of new capabilities that support sponsor priorities, including participating in stewarding PNNL’s unique research facilities such as the Radiochemical Processing Laboratory. The Sector Manager regularly interfaces with high-level current and potential sponsors and collaborators, government officials, the international nuclear community, and industry leaders to develop strategic relationships and partnerships. Of particular emphasis for the Nuclear Energy Market Sector Manager is the development and execution of an industrial engagement strategy to elevate the impact in nuclear energy research. He/she works to identify, evaluate, and decide whether to accept major project risks; commits to creating growth, and ensures sponsor satisfaction. This position requires travel to meet sponsors, participate in conferences, and engage with stakeholders.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
- Bachelor’s degree with 12+ years of experience, or an advanced degree with 10+ years of experience.
- Excellent skills and proven experience in interacting successfully with customers/sponsors, building highly functioning teams, managing projects, and supervising staff.
- Solid understanding of project management principles with a track record of successful execution.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including exceptional interpersonal communications, problem solving, and human relations skills to ensure positive collaboration with sponsors, external partners, PNNL managers, and PNNL staff.
- Robust technical background (education and experience) in nuclear science specific to nuclear energy, ideally in nuclear reactors, fuels, and/or fuel cycle technology.
- Proven ability to build and sustain organizational relationships and to recognize strategic opportunities for success.
- Requires frequent domestic and foreign travel.
- Ph.D. in relevant field with 10+ years of applicable experience.
- Experience interacting with senior-level DOE and nuclear industry leaders.
- Technical background in nuclear reactors, fuels, and/or fuel cycle technology.
- Demonstrated experience with DOE-NE, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and the nuclear industry.
- Proven ability to work effectively with Idaho National Laboratory (INL) and other national laboratories.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307226
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Group: Energy & Environment Sector
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.