Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Characterization & Remediation Team within the Subsurface Science & Technology Group seeks a highly motivated individual with a strong ethic of service to the scientific community and a commitment to both scientific excellence and national impact on critical scientific and technical problems.
The candidate will develop new programs and provide technical leadership to projects performing basic and applied research directed at environmental remediation. Specifically, the candidate will:
• Develop and demonstrate systems-based approaches for environmental characterization, monitoring, and remediation in the vadose zone and groundwater.
• Provide technical leadership and promote collaboration with partner institutions and organizations.
• Manage laboratory and field activities related to intractable environmental problems.
• Develop new capabilities within the organization.
• Publish scientific findings in high-impact peer-reviewed journals and at major conferences.
• Participate in professional societies and technical forums.
• Mentor early and mid-career staff in business development, technical leadership, and project management.
• Comply with PNNL’s policies regarding environmental safety and health and protection of business sensitive material.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
• BS/BA with 7 years of experience; MS/MA with 5 years of experience, or PhD with 3 years of experience.
• Preferred education is BS in geochemistry or related field and 10 years of experience, or an MS in geochemistry or related field and 7 years of experience, or a PhD in geochemistry or related field with 5 years of experience.
• Experience leading research and developing business, particularly with the Department of Energy and Department of Defense.
• Record of interdisciplinary research and collaboration with sponsors, other organizations, and scientists in the fields of geochemistry, geology, hydrology, and environmental engineering as it relates to systems-based characterization, monitoring, and remediation.
• Experience with both laboratory and field applications in environmental remediation, particularly technology demonstrations.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with experience in technical writing, presenting, and marketing/sales.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307128
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Earth Systems Science
Group: Subsurface Science & Technology/Characterization & Remediation
This position involves relationship management with sponsors as well as oversight of laboratory and/or field work. As such, travel to offsite locations (e.g., sponsor locations, academia, and industry) is anticipated. Lab and field work conditions will include radiological, chemical, biological, and munitions hazards.