Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Environmental Assessment and Engineering Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a candidate to provide impactful contributions to the development and evaluation of scientific and engineered solutions for protection of human populations from the effects of adverse environmental factors, protection of environments (both local and global) from potentially deleterious effects of natural and human activities, and improvement of environmental quality. The successful candidate will have a combination of experience and knowledge in basic field engineering and applied environmental science, and be capable of developing and implementing projects related to system design, testing, and evaluation; environmental monitoring, characterization, and validation; and translation of laboratory and/or process simulation results to field-scale applications. The successful candidate will be comfortable working with a diverse set of research staff and project tasks, and possess the appropriate analytic, task management, and communication skills (both oral and written) to clearly articulate the objectives and outcomes of their research.
The incumbent will work under the guidance of senior scientists and engineers, and will be responsible for performing the following technical tasks with the level of quality, timeliness, and cost, to meet required project and client expectations:
• Contribute to or lead experiments, design evaluations, or development of scientific and engineered solutions to assess or solve a variety of technical problems.
• Contribute to technical decisions and develop technical approach for assigned work.
• Contribute to portions of technical proposals, project reports, scientific and technical products, and journal papers as requested.
• Assist with the development of new capabilities within the group.
In addition to high-quality support for clients (both internal and external), a critical part of the position is the ability to quickly and effectively develop and demonstrate skills and abilities that will lead to growth in responsibilities and career progression.
The incumbent will be accountable to:
• Project and/or Task Managers for performing assigned roles, following applicable project, field, and laboratory procedures, and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
• The Environmental Assessment and Engineering Group Manager for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and project execution.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
• Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of experience, a Master’s degree or a Ph.D.
Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated knowledge and professional experience in the following areas:
• Master of Science degree in technically relevant discipline (e.g., engineering, environmental science, etc.)
• Demonstrated mechanical acumen; hands-on familiarity with field deployed systems and processes.
• Field-based sample collection and analysis.
• Commitment to field and laboratory safe conduct of operations.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307094
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Earth Systems Science
Group: Environmental Assessment & Engineering
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
• This position will include laboratory and field work, which requires travel to off-site locations.
• Lab and field work conditions will include radiological, chemical, and physical hazards such as inclement weather.