Tech Student - Signature Sciences and Technology Intern (NSIP)
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
PNNL is seeking undergraduate students for assignments within the National Security Internship Program (NSIP). Do you want to be challenged with hard problems in national security, energy, and science and apply cutting-edge research to make our nation safer and stronger? Do you want to perform research and development critical to prevent and counter terrorism and proliferation of weapons of mass destruction? Are you interested in chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosives measurement and materials characterization?
If you answered yes, please join us as an intern in the Signature Science and Technology Division. Your internship will land you in one of eight focus area.
1. Analytical Chemistry of Nuclear Materials: We specialize in radio/analytical chemistry and nuclear process science capabilities.
2. Applied Physics: We specialize in non-nuclear measurement sciences including Electromagnetics/Radiography, Optics/Infrared Spectroscopy, and Acoustics/Ultrasonics.
3. Chemical and Biological Sciences: We solve challenges related to chemical and biological detection and forensics.
4. Detection Systems: We develop technology for supporting applied measurements for applications such as border security, treaty verification, and environmental monitoring.
5. Intelligence Analysis: We provide analysis and analytical support of the nuclear fuel cycle, WMD production, signature characterization, statistical modeling, WMD forensics, hydrology, and geospatial analysis.
6. Nuclear and Materials Engineering: We design and analyze components utilized in nuclear applications, nuclear non-proliferation and criticality safety.
7. Radiation Detection and Nuclear Science: We develop new capabilities in radionuclide detection, environmental assessment and remediation, treaty verification, detector materials development, and proliferation detection and prevention.
8. Radiochemical Analysis: We perform research in areas such as radiochemistry, nuclear materials chemistry and analysis, instrument development, safeguards, fate and transport, and nuclear signatures.
****HOW TO APPLY****
Must complete all sections.
When prompted to “Upload Resume” you must bundle all the documents listed below into ONE-SINGLE PDF for upload and needs to include:
1) Resume or CV
2) Unofficial transcript for all current and past degrees
3) A 300-word essay specifically describing how your interest pertain to each of the selected focus areas listed above in which you are applying towards.
Applications will be rejected if these instructions are not followed.
Once submitted, you can no longer make edits; you will need to create a new applicant profile and apply again.
Electronic applications are accepted through February. The deadline to apply is 11:59:59 pm PST prior to posting close date.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Candidates must be degree-seeking students enrolled at an accredited college or university. Candidates must be taking at least 6 credit hours and have an overall GPA of 3.3.
Some projects may require U.S. citizenship.
Disciplines of interest: antenna design, biologists, bioinformaticists, chemistry, computer science, criminal network detection, electrical engineering, forensic analysis, geology/geochemistry, illicit trafficking, intelligence & security studies, material science and failure mechanisms, mathematical and statistical methods & modeling, mechanical engineering, metallurgy, microwave and millimeter-wave imaging, multi-physics simulation, nuclear engineering, nuclear nonproliferation, nuclear physics, nuclear science, particle physics, physics, RF/Radar engineering, software engineering, spectroscopy, systems engineering, and technology assessment.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306936
Directorate: National Security
Division: Signature Sciences &Technology