Senior Global Climate Modeler
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a senior global climate modeler to join our outstanding team. The selected applicant will be internationally recognized in the development and application of the atmospheric component of global Earth system models, and will be expected to lead and contribute to projects spanning multiple institutions as well as provide strategic leadership of PNNL’s atmospheric modeling efforts. Expertise in linking models with observations to address key science challenges related to aerosols, clouds, numerical methods, and/or atmosphere-surface interactions would be particularly desirable. A strong and impactful publication record and experience in effectively leading large, diverse teams are essential. Demonstrated success in proposal writing is also highly desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
• A PhD with 7 years experience and distinguished personal achievements are required.
• International reputation publication list in field of expertise.
• Must have a widely recognized national and international authority.
• Technical contributions must be recognized as having a very substantial impact on advancing the current state of knowledge and understanding in scientific or technical disciplines.
• An extensive publication list is required.
• PhD in Climate Science or a related field, with at least 15 years of experience.
• A substantial track record of high-quality publications in peer-review journals is required.
• A demonstrated track record of obtaining research funding through successful proposal development, building relationships with funding agencies, and/or other means is also highly desirable.
• The successful candidate will be an internationally recognized expert in climate/Earth system modeling with an emphasis on atmospheric modeling.
• Prior experience in developing such models and/or integrated measurement-to-modeling approaches to address key science challenges is essential.
• Expertise in aerosols, clouds, numerical methods, atmosphere-surface interactions, or related research areas would be particularly desirable.
• This position requires individuals with a substantial record of independent contributions to research programs and extensive experience in technical and project leadership roles.
• The candidate will possess the ability to lead dynamic, multi-disciplinary teams of scientists and manage complex projects that may span multiple institutions beyond PNNL.
• Have a demonstrated record of strong leadership qualities, team building and motivation skills, and project management, as well as a proven commitment to the mentoring and development of junior scientific staff.
• Have obtained recognition via awards, lecture invitations, or other honors.
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306838
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Atmospheric Sciences & Global Change
Group: Earth System Analysis & Modeling